Sunday, August 3, 2008

Stars can be thought of as Twinkling Birdies



Finn woke me a few minutes ago with a kind of squeal-shriek. Usual mid-night stuff, but I went in to check anyway. Uncharacteristically for one of his mid-night jolts, he had woken himself up. As soon as he saw my dim shadow in the room he clutched Bear and stood up in his crib. Admiring the novelty, I picked him up and headed downstairs in the dark. At 4 o'clock even Halibut rolls over and goes back to sleep, which is what the dog did until I opened the fridge door. The light jumped out at us into the dark kitchen. Finn's eyes were pretty wide. I rifled around in the crisper and pulled out a carrot. Finn immediately took it from my hand, which startled me, and then swung his arm over my side and said, Ha-blit! The dog was at our side almost instantaneously, and he gingerly removed the carrot from Finn's offering hand. After that we all three went into the front yard. Ha-blit peed over at the side of the house. I looked way up then pointed to get Finn's attention. Stars, I said.

Birdie? he replied.

No. Stars.

Birdie, he confirmed with his extended index.

We went back inside, had a couple gulps of peaches from a jar in the fridge, and went back to bed.



No comments: